Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Be careful what you wish for...

I am going to curtail my wishing.

I have learned my lesson.

I have wished for la folie in life. I have wished for someone to just fall for me as quickly as I might fall for them, letting us skip the 'getting to know you' time period, and just hitch ourselves and start life.

But alas, the world is a cruel jokester and sent me that man, and he wasn't what I was expecting. Nor was he what I wanted.

He found me on a corner in the middle of the night, waiting patiently for a taxi. After an invitation to a party which I declined, he offered to ride with me in the taxi that would eventually take me home. I said no. But he came anyway.

The entire ride he asked me about myself, and wondered if I found him crazy. I did.

We reached my home, I thanked him for the conversation, and tried to go inside. He stood outside my door, begging me to see that we were meant to be together. I couldn't.

I finally closed the door behind me, went up to my apartment, opened the window, and there he was, standing on the street below, looking up at me. For the next 45 minutes, he called up to me, begging me to run away with him. He kept saying, "Really? Really? You don't feel the same way as I do? Really?"

Really.

So be careful what you wish for my friends. I am afraid that I lost my chance at la folie since I turned that man away. I hope that's not the case, but I sincerely doubt that I'll ever meet another human being who believes in this idea as strongly as he does.

As strongly as I do.

1 comment:

Sandra Nuñez-Portocarrero. said...

I met a man once too.

And even though pain came with the package, i would have never wanted it otherwise.

I am glad he took that plane to South America even though we had only hang out for a total of 6 hrs.

I am glad I took that plane to China.

I am glad it all happened.

don't ever close your door again.

Unless, of course, you find him ugly.