Friday, August 22, 2008

Life's Continuum

To lose a loved one is to experience the most intense of emotions. Grief.

Of all of the emotions in the world, I feel that this must be the hardest to cope with.

How is someone supposed to wade their way through the deepest of sorrow?

Especially if they have to do it alone.

My mother lost both of her parents when she was seventeen. Her closest friend lost her daughter at the age of eight. My cousin lost her mother in high school.

I know nothing of the strength that has brought them through to today. But I revere them for it, knowing nothing... nothing of their struggle.

I find it hard to find the words that I want to say right now.

I suppose I can only start by telling them that I love them. I love them for their strength, I love them for their perseverance, I love them for allowing tomorrow to come.

My mother told me tonight that life is on a continuum, and that to harbor sadness and regret is to stifle your progress. I know that these were words of wisdom. And so I share these words with you.

Live your life, everyday, and make sure you let the people who matter to you know they matter to you. Take care of yourself, and make sure that no one disrespects or takes for granted your being on this earth. And last, but never never least, love thyself, and be strong. Because life is not intended to be a walk in the park. It is full of situations that you have absolutely no control over, and you must be prepared mentally and emotionally for whatever comes your way.

Before you go to sleep tonight, let someone you care about know. If you're next to them, give them a hug. And don't let the past get in the way of the future... life is too short, and so very precious, for that...

And so I go to sleep tonight, thinking of you, my friends, my family. I send you all my love and know that you are all in my hearts, every single last one of you.

*hug*

No comments: