Friday, March 27, 2009

The night I met the neighbors

This evening, I had my late night smoke in the courtyard of my building.

As I stooped in the shadows, a young woman came in and saw me, and walked towards me asking if I had any alcohol that I could sell her; she was heading to friend's party up on the 3rd floor and seeing that it was 2am, nothing in the neighborhood was open to buy anything.

I told her I had nothing to give her, and apologized for not even having a bottle of shit wine to offer. Truth was, I did have alcohol up in my kitchen, but it is a bottle of bourbon, and I keep it for those wonderfully random sporadic hot-toddy nights. Can't be giving that away.

Anyway, not much later on, as I was finishing off my smoke, a group of people came down, amongst them the woman I had met earlier. She quickly introduced me to my neighbors above, as well as the rest of their group, and as quickly as they had showed up, they were out the door and onto the street, drunk and looking to continue their evening.

That 's now two neighbors in the building who I know. (Three if counting the neighbor below me whose door I had to knock on to retrieve my kitchen-mat, which had fallen from my window sill down onto his.)

So far, everyone I'm meeting and seeing are around my age. And so far, everyone seems cool. I've lived here for four months now... funny that all of a sudden now I'm meeting the people who live so close to me...

No comments: